Jim Wendler’s Training Rules Of Being Awesome
1. Your program will be based on 4 exercises: squat, bench press, deadlift and the press.
2. You will train in the weight room 2-4 days/week.
3. You will do some kind of “hard” conditioning 3 days/week. This consists of pushing the Prowler, running hills, running stadium steps or pushing a car. If it looks hard and awesome, do it. If your mom can do it, put it aside until you go through menopause.
4. You can do any kind of assistance work that you want provided that you do chin-ups/pull-ups and either barbell or dumbbell rows.
5. If you are fat and out of shape, you must do some kind of conditioning every day. If I were fat and out of shape, I’d be pushing a Prowler every day to combat the adipose.
6. You will not program jump and hop on the latest trend – your program should be flexible enough to adjust/tweak to include new ideas while maintaining the core principles and integrity of the program.
7. Diet –If you need to lose fat: eat good food, less crap and eat “right” 90% of the time. If you need to gain weight: eat more food. This is not a hard concept.
8. Your body is not different than anyone else but your attitude can be.
9. You will not be impatient; the grind is where character is made. Focus on what you have to do TODAY to make tomorrow better. This is a lifelong project.
10. Whenever you lose focus, consult this list to clear your head and get you back on track. And when in doubt, squat and run hills.