We’ve got a new video for you that’s all about training, featuring insights from Coach Lin, Kuo Hsing-Chun, and research from the science of practice and expertise.
This 14 minute video covers a wide range of issues related to improving your performance, from Coach Lin’s coaching philosophy to Kuo’s technical approach to the lifts to making practice more effective (based on research by Swedish psychologist Anders Ericsson).
If you’re an athlete looking to improve how you train or a coach trying to improve athlete results then this video is essential viewing! I wish I’d known and incorporated these concepts more concretely much earlier in both my own training and coaching.
- 00:19 Coach Lin’s Background
- 02:09 Keys to Success
- 02:57 Deliberate Practice
- 03:14 Urgent Encouragement & Correction
- 05:56 Effective Feedback
- 06:34 There is no “best”
- 07:03 Bar Close & Early Arm Bend
- 07:54 Trust
- 08:47 Training is 24 hours
- 09:40 Kuo demonstrating the basics
- 11:10 Treat light weights like heavy weights
- 12:32 Kuo’s weekly training plan
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday are for Snatch and Clean & Jerk
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday they focus on weaknesses
- 12:58 Kuo’s best lifts
Further Reading: Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise by Anders Ericsson