Ido Portal posted this photo, together with an explanation of the “Diagonal Stretch”.
One of those easier said than done yoga style poses. I failed miserably and needed assistance to get into this position.
Give it a try and let us know how you do.
- Stand with your heels together but toes out with 90 degree angle (45 off the center line on each side) between your feet.
- Align your right foot toes behind your left heel and glide backwards on an imaginary line drawing out of your left heel. You will achieve a lunge position with the front foot in External Rotation (45 degree off center line) and back foot with raised heel and on the toes, not rotated any more – but straight forward on the center line. (examine the feet orientation in the photo)
- Put your right hand on your heart and let the elbow relax on the body.
- Take the left hand and reach behind you towards your desired target – back of the right knee, mid calf or heel. Arch back and rotate but don’t bend down to reach for your target.
- Hold for 30-60 sec.
- Front knee bent as well (in the picture the front is straight) and touch the back of the knee.
- Front knee bent and touch the mid calf.
- Front knee bent and touch the heel.
- The same progression with the front leg straight.
Thanks to Ido for letting me post this photo.