Blasts from the Past …
Here are 100 minutes filled with tons ridiculously massive lifts from the 2004 Russian weightlifting team.
If you liked the IronMind videos you’ll love this one. Certainly one of the best lifting videos I have seen.
When Dmitry Klokov interviewed Dmitry Berestov he mentioned that:
I remember during his preparation he C&J 250kg (550lb) and cleaned 255kg! (561lb) weighting 110kg (242lb) bodyweight.
Then the fun begins. We get to see with lots of training hall footage from training camps held before the Europeans/ 2004 Olympics.
Remember that Pisarevskiy was competing at 105kg at the time (training bodyweight was higher of course). So most lifts you see there are well beyond the world records at the time (or even today).
I picked out some of the highlights (with time links) below. I am sure I forgot to mention some, as I can’t even identify some of the lifters. Post your findings in the comments.
- 245kg Clean & Jerk at 26:30 and 32:32
- Berestov with a nice Clean + Hang Clean + Jerk x2 complex at 35:20
- Young Vladislav Rigert with a majestic monobrow at 43:14
- 250kg Clean & Jerk (miss) and 255kg Clean 44:53
- Evgeny Chigishev 220kg Power Clean & Jerk at 51:20
- 200kg Snatch by Pisarevskiy at 55:06, 205kg miss afterwards
- Wang Shin-yuan (56kg) 175kg Clean? at 57:12
- BTN Snatch Grip Push Presses while squatting at 1:01:00
- using a “Staircase Block” at 1:02:50
- Oleg Perepetchenov (77kg) with a 170kg ? Snatch at 1:05:38
- heavy Squat (310kg+) x2 at 1:13:43
- Aslanbek Ediev (85kg) with a 210kg C&J at 1:17:52
- 240kg Clean & Jerk at 1:18:10
- 190kg Snatch by Edward Tajukin (94kg) at 1:25:10
- Mikhail Koklyaev and Gleb Pisarevskiy 200kg Snatch at 1:32:55 (Chigishev & Berestov missing)
- 242.5kg Clean & Jerk by Gleb at 1:40:10
For the impatient, here is the 255kg Clean.
Thanks to Igor for submitting.