I was looking for some tricks on how to efficiently clean rusty weights.
Luckily, a while back Ross posted about how he removed rust from from a set of used weights.
Solution: a Coca Cola bath.
I’ve summarized the original instructions with the bullet points below:
- Clean the weights with a hose and wire brush to remove any loose rust and grime.
- Dry the weights and then place them in a large container filled with Coca-Cola. Several days is recommended (the original poster did so for 4 days). He also recommended swishing the weights within the soda once each day.
- Remove the weights and then clean them under a hose once more. Use the wire brush again to remove any remaining rust that has been loosened by the soda.
- WD-40 can also be used to assist
- Finish by spraying the weights with a quality rust paint product. Rust-Oleum is one well known brand.