The IWF just announced that after initially not finding positives at the 2018 worlds they worked together with the Cologne anti-doping laboratory to do further analysis on “target athletes’” samples using “the most sophisticated available technique: Gas Chromatography-Combustion-Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometry (GC-C-IRMS).”
The Result: Olympic & World Champions got popped.
- Srisurat Sukanya (55kg, Gold at Worlds, Olympic Champion Rio, it would be her second ban after 2011) – exogenous Testosterone (T) Adiols (5aAdiol and/or 5bAdiol) (via)
- Sopita Tanasan (49kg, Snatch Gold at Worlds, Olympic Champion Rio) -exogenous Testosterone (T) and at least one of the Adiols (5aAdiol and/or 5bAdiol) (via)
- Thunya Sukcharoen (45kg, Gold at Worlds) for at least one of the Adiols (5aAdiol and/or 5bAdiol) (S1.1 Anabolic agents) (via)
- Chitchanok Pulsabsakul (+87, 6th at Worlds) exogenous 5a-androstane-3a,17b-diol (5aAdiol) and 5b-androstane-3a,17b-diol (5bAdiol) (S1.1 Anabolic agents)(via).
This follows 2 positives announced in December 2018 (Teerapat Chomchuen and Duangaksorn Chaidee) which, if confirmed, would already cause Thailand to lose Olympic Qualification spots.
Also, remember that any nation with three or more positives within a calendar year can receive a country ban. So if all these new cases are confirmed Thailand is facing a potential country ban.
Update 08.02.2019: 2 MORE Thai lifters tested positive (along with 2 Vietnamese lifters).
- Chayuttra Pramongkhol (49kg Gold at worlds) has returned an Adverse Analytical Finding for exogenous Testosterone and at least one of the Adiols (5aAdiol and/or 5bAdiol) (via)
- Wamalun Rattanawan (64kg, Bronze at Worlds) has returned an Adverse Analytical Finding for exogenous 5a-androstane-3a,17b-diol (5aAdiol) and 5b-androstane-3a,17b-diol (5bAdiol) (via)
So we are at a grand total of 8 positives.
Update 12.02.2019: The IWF posted what are either new positives or updates to the existing “adverse analytical findings (AAF)” of Sopita Tanasan and Teerapat Chomchuen.
For Sopita the first AAF just mentioned “Testosterone and at least one of the Adiols”. The new disclosure mentions: “exogenous Etiocholanolone and 5βAdiol (S1.1 Anabolic agents), Androsterone and 5βAdiol (S1.1 Anabolic agents).”
What does this mean for worlds 2019, which are set to be in Thailand?
This is a similar situation to Europeans 2018 which were set to be in Turkey, but when they received a country ban, everything had to be relocated.
Who is a “targeted athlete” and subject to harsher retests?
Who still thinks that weightlifting will be in the Olympics in the future?