Nat Arem (hookgrip), Dr. Boffa (ATG), and myself – Gregor (ATG) talk about how corona is causing havoc in the weightlifting world, how the IWF should handle the Olympic qualification process and what we do personally to deal with the virus.
Update 10.03.2020: Europeans and African championships were postponed “postponed” (effectively canceled) to mid June (via).
- Comprehensive Article about Corona: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/dont-panic-the-comprehensive-ars-technica-guide-to-the-coronavirus/
- 8 min video about exponential growth and how the virus is currently spreading: https://youtu.be/Kas0tIxDvrg
- 45 min ABS News video about how Corona started in China: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycrqXJYf1SU
- A Warning From a Scientist Who Saw the Coronavirus Coming: https://slate.com/technology/2020/03/coronavirus-covid19-pandemic-cause-prediction-prevention.html
- PDF: Updated IWF Qualification Guidelines https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2020/03/IWF-Guidelines-for-Qual.-Events-affected-by-Coronavirus-and-its-consequences-1.pdf
Monday I canceled my travel to Albuquerque, New Mexico. There are no known cases in NM but my change plane was in Houston International. Huge airport with a potential of getting close to someone or thing with corona on it.
IOC can Test Olympic athletes.
The problem is testing over 10,000 athletes and over 10,000 staff and coaches plus millions of spectators before entering stadiums.
Good possibility: No Olympics till late August if at all. China, Iran, Italy, … may not be able to send athletes.