Jim Wendler wrote another post on a 5/3/1 variation.
This time it is about Power Cleans and 5/3/1.
Can you combine the two? – Yes!
How? – In standard 5/3/1 set, rep and percentages fashion.
It’s an easy enough movement.
1. First, be sure you can walk and chew Red Man at the same time.
2. Please be able to show me you have some kind of muscle development and coordination and can do pushups, sit-ups, dips, and lunges (without falling).
3. Pick the bar up with good form (i.e. deadlift).
4. Once the bar passes the knees, jump like you mean it.
5. Rack the barbell across shoulders and stand up.
6. Put the bar back down again.
7. Don’t be a fucking pussy with this exercise or wimp it up.
Because they are an explosive movement, they recruit lots of motor units which can have a positive effect on your squat and deadlift. That’s why he has people do these as the first exercise of the day, right before they squat or deadlift.