Charles Poliquin posted something about low squatting a.k.a. squatting. Because if it ain’t low it’s not a squat.
In tip 3 he suggests using the calf raise machines (seated & standing) to get a maximum stretch.
Standing Calf Raise Machine, 3-5 rounds
- with knees locked (to stretch the soleus and the gastrocnemius)
- lower your heels as low as possible
- hold the stretch for a full 15 seconds
- Bend you knees to lower the shoulder pad
- take a 5 second break
- increase the weight by 2-3 plates, repeat
When stretching calves in an upright position, a great way to increase the stretch in the bottom position is to contract the glutes at that bottom range point.
Seated Calf Raise Machine, 5-6 rounds
- to focus on soleus
- same deal, hold the stretch for 15 seconds, rest 5 seconds, add weight, repeat