Dan joins the show at 16:45.
Download: link to mp3 (23mb, right click + ‘save as’)
Overarching principles are avoid training to failure and build up more volume.
- how his squat evolved over the time
- now he divides his program into on and off season (building up to a comp), linear progression, hit rep PRs,
- focus on high bar squatting and front squatting
- out work him self, a little bit more weight, but for a lot more volume
- top weight single or double for the day, after that hit several triples.
- linear progression also for bench
- doing more work short of failure. breaking rep records
His split for 6-8 weeks during the off season:
- Monday: High Bar Squat
- Tuesday: Bench Press or Overhead Press
- Wednesday: Front Squat wed
- Thursday: Military Press
- Friday: Deadlift
- Sunday: Bench Press
For Bench he likes to do paused reps and follows it up with touch and go reps for volume.
Update: “Boss Barbell Strength Method” was shared by this redditor.
- You have A/B weeks
- A week: 3×5 on main movement, 3×5 on the secondary movements
- B weeks: 2×6 on the main movement with the same weight as the A week
- Secondary movements: use same sets/reps as A week
- Increase the weight by 2-3% each A week
- cycle continues until you are either ready to peak (3-4 weeks out of a competition), or can’t complete all the reps with a new weight
|Day||Main Movement||Secondary Movement||Accessories|
|Monday||High-Bar Squat||Paused High-Bar Squat, Romanian Deadlift||Pull-Ups, Curl variant ,abs|
|Tuesday||Paused Buffalo Bar Bench /Paused Wide-Grip Buffalo Bar Bench||Close-Grip Bench/Paused Close-Grip Bench, Seated DB Press/Military Press||DB Flyes, Skull-crushers, Triceps Pushdowns|
|Wednesday||Front Squat||None||Row variant, Farmer’s Walks, GHR situps, Seated Side Lateral Raise, Shrugs|
|Friday||Deadlift (conventional)||Deficit Deadlift, Stiff-Legged Deadlift, RDL||Chins, Kroc Rows, abs|
|Sunday||Paused Bench||Speed Bench, Paused Wide-Grip Bench, DB Incline Bench||T-Bar Row, Seated Side Lateral Raise, Dips|
As the meet comes closer he switches to low bar squats twice a week where he goes for 1,3,r rep max every workout.
I think that squatting tends to be the best accessory work for squatting
Here is Dan’s 382.5kg (843lb) Squat from his meet in Australia where he broke his own record.