Rich Froning did it again. He won the Crossfit Games for the third time.
After falling behind on the first event (30th place in the swimming event) he slowly made his way to the top again and beat Jason Khalipa and took home $275 000 US.
And again, because I heard that mentioned a couple of times, the results show that the winners aren’t decided by chance. Most of the top 10 have been successful in CrossFit for years now. There will be no one who wins this ordeal by accident. Just like every other sport, you have to dedicate your life to it in order to be successful.
Overall I really liked this years CF Games. It gets better every year. Check the events here.
What I didn’t like:
- Events where we saw athletes jogging / walking (Naughty Nancy – 600m run (up & downhill), 25 Overhead Squats, 4 rounds)
Yes, I understand that this is part of Crossfit – testing all domains – but it’s just not that spectator friendly in my opinion (just like the insane 21km row).
What I did Like:
- The coverage – their media department did an amazing job. Stream and website worked perfectly and made it very easy to follow the events.
- Pretty much everything else. As always there was a wide variety events. Athletes went through 4 days of hell.
What events did /didn’t you enjoy and why?
One of the events I liked most was the Zig Zag Sprint. This was a bracketed tournament. Check it out below.
Dan Bailey smoked every run leading up to the final, where he slipped.
(Full Recording, Non-U.S. Only, check 4min to see Dan’s first sprint!)
There also was a Clean & “Jerk” Ladder. “” because there was no rule against pressing out. Still fun to watch in my opinion.
- 1st place Amanda Goodman 106.5kg (235lbs) at 63kg bodyweight
- 2nd Elisabeth Akinwhale (72.5kg bw) and Lindsey Valenzuela (70kg bw) Cleaned 235 lbs missed Jerk
- 1st Aja Barto (100kg bw) and Lucas Parker (84kg) both cleaned 161kg (355lbs)
- 3rd: Rich Froning (88.5kg bw) Clean & Jerk 156kg (345lbs)
|Ad: WL Shoes from Rogue|
The Final consisted of 2 events called Cinco 1 & 2.
Cinco 1 was 3 rounds for time:
- 5 Deadlifts (405 / 265 lbs)
- 5 weighted One-legged squats, left leg (53 / 35 lb KB)
- 5 weighted One-legged squats, right leg (53 / 35 lb KB)
- then 80 feet Handstand Walk
Time Cap: 7 minutes with Cinco 2 starting 1 minute after the time cap.
Cinco 2 was 3 rounds for time of:
- 5 Muscle-ups
- 5 Deficit handstand push-ups (I told y’all to learn how to do full ROM HSPUs …)
- then 90 feet Overhead walking lunge (160 / 100 lb axle bar)
Video Recordings of Finals
Long Video of the Final