As with everything in gymnastics… looks deceivingly simple, yet it’s not.
Since this is just a 2 minute video it can’t show all there is to that exercise.
In Building the Gymnastic Body the progressions are broken down even further.
(Arms locked at all times)
- L Sit on Parallel Bars (PB) tucked
- L Sit on PB straight, but low (legs below horizontal)
- L sit on PB
- L sit on PB advanced – here you push your hips forward while maintaining straight legs, locked arms and flat back (no hunching, no chest caving in)
Only then do you progress to L Sit on Rings.
Similar progressions for the Straddle L Sit:
- Straddle L on PB bent legs
- Straddle L on PB straight, but low legs
- Straddle L on floor with one hand in center
- Straddle L rolling into it (both hands in center)
- Straddle L on PB
- Straddle L on Rings
- Straddle L High – hips rise to shoulder level, stay compressed, knees pass elbow level (very few athletes can achieve this).
Once you master this you will hopefully be as strong as this kid who demonstrates L Sit Walks