Ben Bruno shares five pull up variations to Take Your Pull-Ups to the Next Level.
Among them is the 1.5 rep Pull up which I like a lot.
- Perform a pull-up as normal.
- Now lower yourself halfway down until the top of your head just clears the bar, and pull yourself back up. That’s one rep.
- Now lower all the way down and repeat.
- Perform 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps.
And the Band Resisted Pull Up
- Attach one end of a band (or bands, depending on your strength level) to a heavy dumbbell on the floor directly beneath the pull-up bar.
- Affix the other end to a belt attached to your waist. The band should be taught at the bottom, but not overly tight.
- Do pull-ups as normal, trying to do each rep explosively. Speed is key here.