Topic: Biceps Tears
Something that is pretty common among strongman competitors. Just recently Terry Hollands tore his at the 2012 WSM Rock Lift. Hopefully you will be spared this nuisance.
Here is how Brett went about his rehab work. It is a damn slow process:
- first 4 weeks sled drags no, light banded row
- 4-8 Dumbbell rows
- 8-12 strict pressing, push ups, banded push ups
Later in the podcast they talk about how to minimize the risk for a rupture, i.e. lifting with correct technique.
- Tyre flips with straight arms (triceps flexed), sumo deadlift style.
- Stone lift, at the initial attack, make sure your arms are not bend, try not to throw it into your lap, nice even motion
- for Deadlifts arms are “cables”
- standards are good warm up (Brett’s added curl grip deadlift with empty bar for biceps warm up), good sleep, no smoking
Brett thinks that dedicated biceps work does not make a lot of sense for strongman. More the opposite it hinders effective recovery of the already biceps heavy strongman events.
Download Audio: link to mp3 (47 mb, right click + ‘save as’)