Over at California Strength Glenn Pendlay has a very nice 3 Part “How to Snatch Series” with Jon North, Caleb Ward, Donny Shankle as demonstrators.
The progressions used are really simple, yet effective.
Parte One – Top Pull – Transitioning from Power Snatch to Squat Snatch
- set up your snatch grip – bar in hip crease determines grip width
- push shoulders back
- weight is on heels
- bend knees a couple of inches
- jump and catch
- feet hit the platform the same time the elbows lock out
- work towards the squat snatch as quickly as possible
- same movement and then add an overhead squat
- Power Snatch, then stop at position you caught the bar, from there do an Overhead Squat
Snatch Bent Knee Position
Power Snatch Catch Position
Part Two – Second Pull
- first position (bend knee)
- from there bend forward and slide the bar to just below the kneecaps, keep the bar in contact with your legs
- weight on heels
- slowly go back to first position and stop
- from there jump and catch the bar
- shoulders over the bar
- increase speed in transition
- when moving up the thigh jump and catch without the stop
Below the Knee Position Snatch Drill
Part Three – First Pull – Starting from the floor
- same drill as above
- once the bar goes below the knees, bend the knees to allow the bar to go to the floor
- weight shifts close to the ball of the foot
- constant back angle
- cues: knees-hips-knees-GO
Squat Snatch Catch Position
Want more? Here is another How to Snatch Instruction Series by Nick Horton.
How to Snatch Tutorial with Glenn Pendlay is a post by Gregor Winter from All Things Gym.