In their series on load ordering Kelly Starret and Carl Paoli take on the topic of hyperextension.
This is especially interesting for Gymnasts with hyper extended elbows or hyper-mobility in general.
Goal: Creating stiffness at end ranges without over pressuring the joint.
For Deadlift this means getting neutral while actively pulling yourself into extension.
- get braced from top to bottom
- getting back into a good position (back loading )
- squeezing butt , hip hamstring getting loaded
- adjust position by bringing knees forward.
- once down, re-tension from the other side
Apply this concept to gymnastics Iron Cross training.
- deepest dip with peak tension elbow
- lock out, stiff elbow
- from there lower into iron cross
= stiff locked out elbow but not in end range