Daniel Vadnal has a Back Lever Tutorial for you.
He goes over some very important points I wish somebody told me back when I started out doing Back Levers.
The progressions he covers are pretty much the consensus of the gymnastics world when it comes to starting out boys (6-9) in this movement.
Don’t skip a progression and take your time and you will achieve this movement without injury.
- Weighted Shoulder Dislocations (not only for gymnasts, everybody should do these, try them)
- German Hangs / Pulls
- scapular protraction and depression (this is important)
- squeeze hands down towards glutes
- glute & abdominal engagement
Progression: tuck-> advanced tuck -> adv. BL open -> straddle -> half
How to train them:
- 3 times a week
- Back Lever Holds: 3-5 Sets x 8-12s (some say stay at one position until you can hold it for 30s)
- Back Lever Lifts: 3 Sets x 3-4 reps
Once you can hold a position for the required amount of sets & reps, move on to the next harder.